Monday, August 17, 2009

Furniture Shopping

Dad has got his newest toy all set up in the basement. It has satellite capabilities, surround sound, DVD, VHS and whatever else makes your Dad's heart sing. The only problem is that it is sitting on a card table I got super cheap and I'm freaking out. Trevor gave us a great television stand, but it's way too big for it.

Any way I decided to check out furniture stores today. Especially after your Dad spent the weekend on a folding chair watching Camelot. He has moved the pool table and stuff so he has an entire room that's empty except for his one little folding chair.

First of all I checked out television stands. The one I liked best and was most affordable was reduced 50 percent to $400 at Blackfoot Appliance. Then I decided to check out something to sit on. Deseret Industries did have couches for $20. However they'd need fumigated. I don't think so. My couch is 12 years old so I decided I could maybe get a new one (compliments of the little blue card I keep in special zipped pocket in my purse) and move the old one downstairs.

There are only three choices for couches in the four furnitures stores I checked out today. First of all there is the ever popular cheap special. These look weird and you can't quite decide what's wrong with them. Most of them are only $200 to $350. All I can say is Huh? (I know I could have probably haggled them to go lower with the screaming yellow one.) Next there is leather. I found today that I tend to slip when sitting on leather and before long and I'm sliding towards the edge. The more expensive the leather, the faster I slide. The third choice is a new one to me. It is the micro fiber that looks like textured leather. The jury is still out on whether I like this stuff of not. The real problem with it is that the two recliner type couches all come in this fabric. I did run into a totally breath takingly beautiful couch. I sat on it and I had to keep sitting back to try and find a back rest and when I did, my feet came off the floor about a foot and this couch doesn't even recline. Oh well.

I have no clue what we are going to sit on. We did the sofa mart in Idaho Falls after I did Blackers, Blackfoot Appliance, and O'Dell's.

When Dad got home I found out he had found a television stand he really liked in Wal Mart in Idaho Falls. They are getting ready to remodel the Blackfoot Wal Mart so it is really the outhouse at the moment.

We decided to go shopping for Family Home Evening. We finally found a television stand we could agree on. It's a Sauder's box model. It was $200 off at Shopko. It's black. I don't really like black, but you Dad does. It has a post thing that holds the television above the stand. Dad thinks it's cool.

Standing just a few feet away was this fantastic storage closet thing that I could stick all my craft crap in that's stacked in the guest bedroom. It was reduced down from $148 to $38. Dad's putting it together now as I type because it's easier to assemble than his television stand.

Any way I am open to ideas about what to sit on in the basement. I thought the new couch thing had merit, but I'm baffled where to shop for something I'd like in the livingroom. The Victorian couches I love must not be in style any more. Oh well they were not at all comfy. There are great sectionals, but one won't fit in the livingroom and it's only fair I get a new upstairs couch. Right?

Feel free to comment.

1 comment:

  1. Since I am the Metro of the family and love furniture shopping, I have a couple of ideas for you.

    Idea one, the economy sucks you can negotiate furniture down anywhere from $50 - $200 pending on what you are buying. Pretent you are in Mexico and keep to your price.

    Idea two, we live in the 21st century and have something called the internet. Use it! You can look up all the furniture store in Idaho falls, blackfoot, and Pocatello. Find the smaller one that are about to go under. We found our new sofa and love seat at one of these stores and only paid 300 for both. Also you can look at Craigs list and see what you can get for dirt cheap.

    Idea 3, go to Ashley Furniture and get yourself a new 9 piece living room set (Sofa, Love Seat, 2 lamp stands, 2 lamps, coffee table, Rug, and something else) for 859! Just get the decorating over with down stares. There are 100s of choices to choose from and they deliver. You can pay $37 a month for two years with no interest!

    Here is the address for ashelys in IF. 1953 N Yellowstone Hwy
    Idaho Falls, ID 83401-1605
    (208) 529-0078

    ReplyDelete